IHS Markit Online Community
December 16, 2017, 06:17:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register Petra v3.8.3 Petra Standard Edition (version 3.x)  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Text box scrolling and data entry problem with IE 8  (Read 6975 times)
CoreyMac
Petra SIG

Helpful Votes: 5

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2009, 12:37:20 PM »

If I type very many lines into the window, eventually the scrolling and entering of text is affected and typed information disappears below the visible window.  The end of this message is sufficient to illustrate the problem and the problem is the worst when appending to the bottom after the pain threshold is crossed.  The issue is occuring mostly in IE 8 at the moment.  Running in compatibility mode seems to reduce the problem a great deal so this is mostly just to inform...

Thanks for your assistance,

-Corey

Testing Petra User Community Window scrolling issue.  This line may be repeated many times and should be ignored.  Possibly this should be deleted after the issues is resolved, to prevent it from show up as a bug in the search feature and wasting folks time when they are looking for real data.

Testing Petra User Community Window scrolling issue.  This line may be repeated many times and should be ignored.  Possibly this should be deleted after the issues is resolved, to prevent it from show up as a bug in the search feature and wasting folks time when they are looking for real data.

Ryan Gabbard
Petra SIG

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 10:12:22 AM »

I'm using FireFox 3.5.5 and I can't duplicate the problem.

When in IE 8 and copying the text from your post, I don't have a problem until I try to navigate with the up and down arrows. Works fine with the scroll wheel on the mouse though.

Murex Petroleum
IT Technician
CoreyMac
Petra SIG

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 09:42:06 AM »

I see the same thing. This problem shows up only when in IE8 and not in compatibility mode.  You can scroll, but when you have passed the line limit for the window and start typing, the cursor location is constantly kept below the lowest part of the window and you cannot see what you are typing.  You can scroll down, and see it with the wheel, but if you attempt to change/edit/add to what is there in anyway, it jumps back below the visible window again.

This is not a fatal problem, and there are work arounds as mentioned, I was just getting it documented so that it got passed along and could be fixed in a future release of SMF.
Bob Meyer
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 02:30:51 PM »

Thanks for the heads up on the issue with the forum (not PETRA) software. I was able to duplicate the issue in IE8. The workarounds already mentioned should do for now, but we will check it in the next release of the forum software.

Thanks!
Bob Meyer
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 02:39:40 PM »

Just a quick update on this issue. We are on the most recently released version of the smf forum software, and the issue still exists for IE8. It is not an issue with FireFox, so if you are doing long posts, you may want to use FireFox. Let us know if entry of long posts through IE8 is a big issue for you.

Thanks!
Bob Meyer
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 02:56:59 PM »

OK, here is an even better workaround for IE8. Microsoft provided a "compatibility mode" to address issues where IE8 acts differently than previous versions. This compatibility mode is described by Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/features/easier.aspx

To set this mode for this forum, go to the Page menu item in IE8 and turn on the compatibility view. NOTE: You will need to log out of the forum and then log back in to see the change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: